Advertisement

Protecting your home against Carbon Monoxide

Published: Jan. 22, 2021 at 7:16 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

NORTH PLATTE, Neb. (KNOP) -As we continue to see winter temperatures and storm advisories, people should be mindful of Carbon Monoxide leaks that can occur inside their homes. Carbon Monoxide is colorless, odorless, and tasteless, yet when exposed, people may become uneasy and appliances may not work properly.

The North Platte Fire Department responds to about one hundred calls regarding Carbon Monoxide in homes. The calls range in severity based on the precautions the homeowner may have implemented such as having Carbon Monoxide detectors.

“There is a state statute in Nebraska that was passed on Jan. 1, 2017. That any house that is sold or rented or heavily renovated has to have Carbon Monoxide detectors installed,” said North Platte Fire Marshall George Lewis. “People also have to remember to check their batteries and expiration dates in those detectors.”

Experts say that Carbon Dioxide detectors are just as important as smoke detectors. Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas. The detectors serve as a precaution. Carbon Monoxide leaks can show themselves in different ways.

“Frosty windows can also be a sign of a leak because of the high humidity stemming from a Carbon Monoxide leak,” said Blackhills Energy Company Community Affairs Manager Melissa Garcia. “If you do leak into your home, that can lead to physical symptoms as well.”

If anyone has questions or concerns about potential Carbon Monoxide leaks in their home, they are encouraged to call a trained professional to evaluate their situation.

Copyright 2021 KNOP. All rights reserved.