NORTH PLATTE, NEb. (KNOP) - Thirty-five nominations were received for the Beauty of the Holidays lighting competition, sponsored by Keep North Platte and Lincoln County Beautiful and The North Platte Bulletin.
Sixteen community judges spent 17 hours driving the streets of North Platte to rank each holiday display, based on curb appeal, balance, theme and maintenance.
The races were very close, with some margins just 0.25 points.
The purpose of the competition is to spread the Christmas spirit and recognize those who continue to make North Platte and Lincoln County a beautiful place to live. A map is available with all of the nominations marked to use as a tool to visit all of the nominated lights.
“It is such a positive and uplifting experience to drive around and see the lights and décor.” said KNPLCB Executive Director Mona Anderson. “We appreciate all of the nominees who take time and effort to spread the holiday spirit through their displays.”
Bulletin Publisher George Lauby thanked everyone who puts up Christmas lights and those who go to the extra effort to make the holidays extra beautiful.
“It gives us all a great deal of cheer to see them,” he said.
The Bulletin will provide a cash prize to each first place North Platte ward winner, to encourage the continuation of community spirit and beautification through the holiday season.
1. Doug & Kathy Wenz – 203 North Bryan
2. Bill and Janet Kelsey – 909 East 4th
3. Dan and Irene Ridgway – 403 S. Sycamore
1. Jackie Beckius – 1916 West E Street
2. Jim Higgens – 3301 Reagan Court
3. Norman Melchert – 1202 B Street
1. Staci Voyer – 1324 West A Street
2. Troy James - 2902 West 1st Street
3. Mary Hanson – 2815 Anna Ave.
1. Bill Kramer – 1221 W 9th
2. Allen Sullivan – 715 East 10th
3. 323 East 12th
Outside of North Platte
1. 6692 W. Hwy 30 -- Teak and Becca Colson
2. 502 Prairie Road -- Linda and James Thompson
3. 230 Wayne Ave. Brady – Bill Porter
Other nominees outside of North Platte:
801 Tomahawk Dr
2802 Pearson Rd -- Keith
8353 Sagebrush Rd -- Emanual and Aleeta Somers-Dehaney MD
5322 W State Farm Road -- Sam Bedke
9131 West Front Rd – Janet and DeWayne Livingston