Cigarette causes fire in window well at Victorian Square

By  | 

NORTH PLATTE, Neb.-- Fire crews respond to downtown North Platte after someone threw out a cigarette and caught some leaves on fire.

The incident happened a little before 2:30 p.m.

The discarded cigarette fell into a window well on the west side of Victorian Square off Dewey Street near the parking lot.

Fire crews say that the strong winds blew the smoke into the building.

Residents from the apartments on the upper floor say they could smell the smoke.

Luckily, fire crews add that the wind was strong enough to put out the fire in the basement area of the window well.

At this time, it is uncertain who improperly disposed of the cigarette.