Dumpster fire in Norh Platte

North Platte Fire Dept. says fire was caused by dumping remnants from a fireplace into a dumpster that had aerosol cans in it. It took about a minute to put out. Firefighter said this was a teachable moment. (SOURCE: Erika Siebring, KNOP-TV)

NORTH PLATTE, Neb. (KNOP) - North Platte Fire Department extinguishing Tuesday morning dumpster on East 4th Street. The dumpster is between Knapp Electric and Larry's RV.

North Platte Fire Dept. says fire was caused by dumping remnants from a fireplace into a dumpster that had aerosol cans in it. It took about a minute to put out. Firefighter says this was a teachable moment.

Firefighter, Justin Thompson, says, "It's just a good reminder, if people have a wood burning stove or fireplaces to make sure the ashes, things you take out, are wet down and completely cooled before you throw them into the trash."

Thompson says there doesn't look like there was much damage.