Fire crews warn of furnace fires after close call

By  | 

It's the little things that can keep you safe, just ask a North Platte family on Monday about their furnace.

A scary morning could have been much worse. A mom smelled smoke in the house and called the fire department while her children were still in their pajamas but it was not a fire.

The furnace in the basement crawl space was in several inches of water, not a fire, but smoldering from the water.

North Platte Fire Marshall said there wasn't a fire, but it is a good reminder to remember to monitor your furnace.

You should check your furnace on a monthly basis. Dryer vents should also be cleaned. Lewis says lint can build up in the dryer and eventually start on fire.