Advertisement

Fire destroys home and garage on W. 9th St.

(KNOP)
Published: Jul. 17, 2016 at 4:47 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

The call for help came in around 11:30 this morning. The caller alerted fire fighters to a fire ripping its way through a home on W. 9th St. in North Platte

"We were out back," said Alicia Sabin, who is the victim's next door neighbor. "We heard like a pop and we thought it was maybe like a fire cracker and then we heard another pop. And there was like smoke just pouring out the roof of the garage. So then I went out and see fire and so then I called 911."

When talking about what she saw, Sabin also says the garage was completely engulfed in flames. Fire department officials confirm there was gasoline and other accelerants in there. This enabled the fire to quickly burn through the garage's roof.

"The garage is a total loss," said Bill Kleinow, who is the North Platte Fire and Rescue Department Battalion Chief. "I'd say about 60 percent of the house [is burned] so it's pretty much, it'll probably be unlivable."

One woman was allegedly asleep inside the house when the fire broke out. An unknown good Samaritan notified her of the danger as this person helped her get out unharmed. The fire marshal has determined a faulty electrical wire sparked the blaze.