Advertisement

Fire Marshal: Overloaded outlet starts garage fire

(KNOP)
Published: Dec. 17, 2017 at 6:07 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

North Platte's Fire Marshal finished his investigation into Sunday's double car garage on the city's west side.

George Lewis says the fire started on the garage's north wall by outlet. Lewis thinks the outlet was overloaded. He also says the garage was filled with things like gas cans, oil and propane bottles. Lewis says the propane ignited because of the flames.

The roof collapsed on the detached garage. Lewis says the building is a total loss.

North Platte fires crews fought the flames at Church Street around 5 p.m. The two vehicles in the garage were removed moved safely. Two adults were there and escaped without injury.

The nearby home was safe from the blaze as fire crews were able to contain the fire before it spread.

**

ORIGINAL STORY: DEC. 17, 2017)

Around 5:30 p.m. on Sunday, crews responded to a garage fire at a home on Church Street.

Fire Marshal George Lewis says that the detached garage is a total loss, but the nearby home is safe and unaffected by the blaze.

Lewis adds that two adults were at the residence when the fire broke out, but that they escaped from the fire uninjured.

The adults were also able to save cars in the garage from being damaged.

Police officers blocked traffic on A Street while crews battled the fire.

Lewis says he will have more information on the fire on Monday.