Garage total loss after Thursday morning fire

NORTH PLATTE, Neb. (KNOP) - A North Platte garage fire forced fire crews to close Mills Avenue between 3rd and 4th Thursday morning.

Authorities said a lawn mower is to blame for starting the fire.

Around 10:30 a.m. Thursday, neighbors began banging on the doors at 301 West Mills Avenue to alert the residents that their garage was on fire.

Luckily no one was in the garage at the time and their car was not parked inside at the time of the fire.

North Platte Fire Marshal, George Lewis, said the garage is a rental and the tenants don't have renters insurance.

"I understand they didn't have renters insurance so people have got to understand when they rent a place the owner of the building has insurance, but it doesn't cover your contents so you always want to get renters insurance," said Lewis.

Lewis estimates the damage at $15,000 to $20,000 which includes two freezers full of food. Lewis said the garage is a total loss.

Read the fire story here.