Memorial Day faces possibility of severe thunderstorms

MGN Image
By  | 

NORTH PLATTE, Neb. (KNOP) - Sunday will start with a few slight chances for rain but we'll see a much more active pattern later in the day. A rush of warm, moist air will push into the region Sunday afternoon. This will give the opportunity for scattered severe storms starting in the late afternoon and lasting well into the evening. The main threats from these storms will be heavy rain, strong winds, and significantly large hail. Storms that produce hail look to be the strongest threat in the current outlook, but prolonged heavy rain can cause flash flooding in several areas.

The first half of Memorial Day looks calm and clear but then another batch of storms will cross the region, with a few more severe storms will be possible.

During this time, please pay attention to the latest forecasts and make sure you are armed with our weather app.

SUNDAY: A 30% chance for leftover showers and thunderstorms in the morning then partly sunny with a 70% chance for showers and thunderstorms in the late-afternoon and evening...some storms may be severe and contain heavy rain. Highs in the low to mid 70s. Southeast winds of 5 to 15 mph...with gusts to 20 or 25 mph possible.

MEMORIAL DAY: A few morning showers and thunderstorms linger...with the possibility that some may be strong-to-severe...then becoming partly sunny with a 60% chance for more showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon and evening some storms may be strong-to-severe with heavy rain. Highs in the mid-upper 70s.