Two former Huskers make U.S. Women's National Team Roster
The U.S. Women’s National Team, ranked No. 3 in the world by the FIVB, finalized its 14-player roster on Friday that will work to secure its 2020 Olympic Games berth at the 2019 Tokyo Women’s Volleyball Qualification Tournament being held Aug. 2-4 in Shreveport-Bossier City, Louisiana.
For the Olympic qualifying tournament, U.S. Women’s National Team Head Coach Karch Kiraly and his staff have selected four outside hitters, four middles, two opposites, two setters and two liberos for the four-team round-robin Pool C.
• Outsides (4): Michelle Bartsch-Hackley, Kim Hill, Jordan Larson, Kelsey Robinson
• Opposites (2): Annie Drews, Jordan Thompson
• Middles (4): Tori Dixon, Chiaka Ogbogu, Dana Rettke, Haleigh Washington
• Setters (2): Lauren Carlini, Jordyn Poulter
• Liberos (2): Megan Courtney, Mary Lake
Team USA will face Kazakhstan on Aug. 2 at 6 p.m. CT, followed by Bulgaria on Aug. 3 at 5 p.m. CT and Argentina on Aug. 4 at 1 p.m. CT.
• Aug. 2: USA vs. Kazakhstan, 6 p.m. (live on NBC Sports Network)
• Aug. 3: USA vs. Bulgaria, 5 p.m. (live on Olympic Channel)
• Aug. 4: USA vs. Argentina, 1 p.m. (live on NBC)
The Tokyo Women’s Volleyball Qualification Tournament includes six pools of four team being staged in a round-robin format Aug. 2-4. The top 24 ranked teams, minus 2020 Olympic Games host Japan, are placed into the six pools using the serpentine system with pool winners claiming berths into the 2020 Olympics along with host Japan. The final five spots into the 2020 Olympics will be determined in early January through the five confederation zonal championships.